"Sicko" by Michael Moore
Michael Moore is a film documentary and well-known person who fights for your right in the US. He sets his sights on the plight of the uninsured in this Oscar-nominated documentary that uses Moore's trademark humor and confortational style to ask the difficult questions and get to the truth behind the health care crisis. In the world's richest country, 45 million people have no health insurance, while HMO's grow in size and wealth. Moore also explores the widespread use of antidepressants and their possible link to violence. This documentary is about 2 hours and 3 min. It was filmed back in 2007. (Netflix)
You know, the way I look at life in the US and in the country they were showing it. It truly opened my eyes about settling there and retired in the future. Many people always telling me that we are in a recession. I was discussing this with someone after watching it. He made a very good point that if we are actually in the recession, we wouldn't be able to make any payments or have funds at all. We will be running out of money in no time. So, if it is not a recession, then what is it then? What is another word for us to define where we are right now... Many terms I could think of, it would be: Denial, Slow Recovery, Financial in Debt, Financial Crisis, Depression, Non-Disastrous Recession and many many many more.
I felt extremely low and embarrasing after watching it about how US are using people, when they are in need or need support from the government and they are abandoning us. I looked at the 3rd world country and they are struggle as well as us. However they are very cautious about what is going on in their lives and being careful. I was in shock to see how many people in the US didn't get any assistance from the government back in the day. Yet, to this day, did it improve? I don't know. Will it get better? I don't know. Will we be able to get back where we once was? I don't know.
When I was reading about recession in general and I came across this article By Joanne Fritz, http://www.about.com/ . It talks about Nonprofits Need to Ride Out Economic Storms guide: How do you keep your nonprofit financially stable when the economy has the jitters and donors have cold feet? Weathering a bad economy should not send your nonprofit skittering to the bunkers, but it should sharpen your focus and improve your efficiencies. Here are several suggestions to consider for the economic bad times.
1. Don't pull back on fundraising.
2. Let your donors know that those you help are in more need than ever.
3. Find the stories that will touch the hearts of your donors.
4. Stay in touch with people who have stopped giving.
5. Find new donors in industries that are still thriving.
6. Take the opportunity to lower fundraising costs.
7. Cut costs - sensibly
8. Take a new look at projects you intended to raise money for.
These are one of the good examples. Another example you can check out this article which is great.
"The 'Non-Recession' Has America in Denial: No one wants to mention the R word, despite ample evidence that the economy is getting weaker." by Newsweek,August 27, 2001 -Samuelson, Robert J.
The link for this article is http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-77619859/non-recession-has-america.html
If anyone is reading this, please leave your comments. I would love to hear more about your thoughts in this.
Thank you,
Regina Daniels
No comments:
Post a Comment